Contact the new mobile service provider to whom you want to port your mobile number; SMS Port
your mobile number to 1900; obtain the Customer Acquisition Form (CAF)
You will receive an eight digit unique porting code on your mobile phone which needs to be filled in the CAF; submit the duly filled form along with relevant documents to the new mobile service provider
If you are a post paid subscriber, submit a paid copy of the last bill issued along with Porting Form and CAF; Obtain new SIM card from the new service provider
Service provider may charge porting charges of maximum Rs.19/-; consumers can withdraw their porting request within 24 hours of submitting their request
The service provider will do back end work after this; you will receive the date and time of porting through SMS from the new operator
You will be ported on the 7th working day (15th working day in case of J&K, Assam and North East); your number will be inactive for about 4 hours at night during the porting process
Replace the old SIM with the new SIM provided by your new mobile service provider after the specified date and time
Porting Procedure for Subscriber
Request for Porting
- UPC is required to be generated before submission of porting request at the point of sale of recipient operator. For this, SMS the word ‘PORT’ followed by a space and the ten-digit mobile number which is to be ported, to 1900. The UPC will be received through SMS on the mobile of the Subscriber. It may be noted that UPC will be generated for the subscriber only if the eligibility criteria are satisfied.
- Positive validation of the condition(s) listed below shall determine generation of the Unique Porting Code: -
- Post-Paid mobile subscriber has cleared ‘Outstanding dues’ towards the existing telecom service provider for the issued bill(s) as per normal billing cycle.
- Activation in the present operator’s network is not less than 90 days.
- Request for change of ownership of mobile number is not in process.
- There are no pending contractual obligation(s) to be fulfilled by the subscriber as per the exit clause provided in the subscriber agreement.
- The porting of the mobile number is not prohibited by the court of law.
- The mobile number sought to be ported is not sub-judice.
- Go to the nearest Customer service centre/Point of Sale of the operator you want to port your mobile number to and fill the Customer Acquisition Form (CAF) and Porting Form of the operator and mention the valid UPC. After submission of necessary payment and requisite KYC document(s), the person at customer service centre/Point of Sale will issue a new SIM. Once the operator initiates the port request, you will receive a SMS confirming the submission of porting request along with withdrawal window, during which the porting request can be withdrawn/ cancelled
- Porting to other operator within the same circle (Licensed Service Area) will be executed within 3 (three) working days and if porting is for another circle (License Service Area), it will be executed within 5 days. There is no change in the porting timelines for the Corporate mobile connections. It will take 15 working days in case of Jammu & Kashmir, Assam, and North East service areas). You will receive an SMS indicating the date and time for porting. The service disruption time shall be around 4 hrs during night time of the date of porting.
- Insert the new SIM in your phone on the date of porting as communicated by the new operator. Now you are on the network of your new service provider with the same mobile number.
Eligibility and other Conditions for Porting a Mobile Number
- Consumers can switch their operator only after 90 days of the date of activation of their mobile number or from the date of last porting, whichever is applicable.
- Post paid subscribers: please ensure all the dues as per your last bill are cleared (an undertaking will have to be signed by you in the Porting Form).
- Prepaid subscribers: the balance amount of talk time at the time of porting will lapse.
For detailed regulation please visit TRAI website www.trai.gov.in