Number Portability allows consumers and businesses to keep their existing telephone numbers when they switch operators. It, literally, means that numbers are portable from operator to operator - whether that operator is a mobile, wireline, or VoIP service provider.
Number Portability benefits everyone.
It gives subscribers the freedom to choose operators based on criteria like services, price, and customer service. Their freedom of movement is not influenced by the inconveniences and costs that come with changing numbers.
It also makes it easier for operators to compete for customers, precisely because it eliminates a major barrier to churn - that is, reluctance to change numbers. Although this increased risk of churn is a concern among some operators, number portability has been a huge success around the world, because it helps to level the playing field, giving all operators more opportunities to grow their subscriber bases and revenues.
Benefits of Number Portability
Mobile number portability (MNP) enables mobile subscribers to retain their mobile number when changing from one mobile network operator to another. Thus, you can shift your services from your existing mobile service provider to a new and a better mobile service, keeping your mobile number unchanged
Advantages to Subscribers
- It empowers the consumer to be a lifelong owner of his phone number and fosters additional choice and convenience in communication services and providers with whom they do business
- Increased competition amongst mobile service providers for customer retention, ensuring better service quality
- Competitive pricing, better services, improved and innovative VAS
- Better addressing of grievances to retain subscribers
- Affordable and convenient
- Save money by choosing the best plan that suits your requirement
- No need to panic to inform family and friends of a change in number due to a change in the service provider
- Short-term monetary benefits to the Subscribers, as operators willing to offer free talktime and data usage
Advantages to Operators
- Benefits to new operators due to the innovative service offerings, better services, relatively uncongested network
- Operators will no longer have to pay the price to reserve a specific number series in a particular zone, even if there are very few Subscribers using that series
- Fewer struggles for newcomers: If an operator is entering a new telecom zone, he will not have to struggle for getting enough number of subscribers to keep itself in business. Usually, new telecom operators offer better price to value ratio for the Subscribers. It will play a significant role in getting new operators a good number of subscribers
As per TRAI Regulation , "Per Port Transaction Charge " is up to Rs.
19/- (Nineteen). For further details , please refer to the TRAI website (www.trai.gov.in
) on Mobile Number Portability Regulation